Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What happens if neither the judge or prosecution showed up for court?

Question Details: I had a court date after receiving a speeding ticket and both the judge and the prosecuting officer did not show up. I am 100% certain I was at the right time and place because the county clerk confirmed it and said that the judge was on vacation and the cop just didn't bother to show up. Apparently, when the officer gave me my ticket, he intentionally picked a day that he knew neither of them would be there because he was so certain that I wouldn't show up that it would be an easy win for them. The reason he was so certain is because I had an out of state driver's license for a state that is 8 hours away from where we were. However, I go to school part-time 2 hours away from where we were which is what he didn't know and drove 2 hours at 7 am and skipped class and work to be at this court date and then neither the judge or prosecutor decided to show. What are my options because I cannot afford the gas to make another 4 hour road trip nor can I afford to miss class or work because I am struggling just to make ends meet. Can I demand that they dismiss the case, for lack of prosecution or lack of judge if that is even a thing? Also, there was no notice sent to me at my address, which was confirmed by the clerk.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.