Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
How Can We Help You?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

What to do if I'm being sued by an insurance company for collection after an auto accident?

Question Details: About 15 months ago, my son was coming home from the library at his school. He was T-boned and spun around and ultimately hit the back end of a 3rd car stationary at a light. This 3rd car had minor damage to the very rear of the car. My son did not have injury protection and only liability with his insurer. Both my son and the other car that hit him claimed the traffic light was green. The police could not determine who was at fault but because of the 3rd car having damage. Binding arbitration determined my son was at fault and his insurance company paid out to each party. One year later, the 3rd car's insurer is sueing my son for 14K claiming back injury to its client. Due to the HIPPA law, no details can be provided. I asked for what the damage was to the vehicle, as I believe it was minor and the back injury seems false (according to my son). I have all the details and think the arbitration decision is wrong. Can this be arbitration decision be challenged? Should I try and settle with the insurer's legal office? My fear is if a higher a lawyer and I lose the lawsuit, then I am out the money for the suit and the money for the lawyer. I do not get the injury with ultimately minor damage to this 3rd vehicle. I have details and I would like to know the best course of action moving forward. The desire is truly to put this behind me and my son. He is an engineering student and was coming home after studying for finals. I have all the details. A lawyer retainer from someone locally was 2K plus $300 an hour. Honestly this is very difficult to justify. I don't really know what to do as I have almost no savings, plus my son has no money and currently has 30K in student loan debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.