Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What can I do if my car was not deemed a total loss but it should have been?

Question Details: About 2 months ago, I was driving to work and a lady backed out of her driveway right into my passenger front tire area, bending the knuckle assembly on my 12 year old car. Their insurance company took full liability seeing how it was her fault. It is 2 months later but my car is still not fixed. The first shop we took it to submitted an estimate that was denied by the insurance adjuster. Instead he came up with his own estimate using just pictures of my car and issued a check without even talking to me about it. I then had to remove my car from the first mechanic's property cause him and the adjuster didn't get along nor agree on anything. So I found a second shop who replaced the right hand control arm and knuckle assembly with junkyard parts like the insurance insisted on. Then had to take it to another shop to have the alignment done, which is where we found out that apparently if you replace one side you have to replace the other side so they match. Long story short, they wouldn't do the alignment and said the same thing our first mechanic said, "It should have been deemed a total loss". Should I seek out an attorney? I've missed several days of work and am very stressed out dealing with all this. I'm at a loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.