Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Are there any legal protections for an unlicensed person who took a firearm from an overly intoxicated person who was trying to kill themselves but who was then charged with an unlawful possession of a firearm?

Question Details: A friend was overly drinking, had been in a stupor the entire time we were together. In his intoxicated state, he made several attempts to end his life. Intervention of the first 2 caused me no trouble. The third, however, involved a firearm, a pistol. After disarming the person and putting him to sleep in his room, I took the weapon and was walking to the store. On the way back, I got stopped by the cops. Unaware of the law on firearms in South Carolina, I laid the weapon on the ground, put my hands up and co-operated with the police, under the pretense I was doing nothing wrong. Now the person in question didn't report the gun as stolen but didn't stand up for me either. He just made a simple statement of I don't know or remember I was drunk. Now I'm looking at a problem in my life die to one persons ineptitude and unwillingness to take responsibility for his actions. Are their any legalities relieving legal responsibilities for wrong doing for being a good samaritan?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.