Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What legally am I able to do to get as far away from my parents as possible?

Question Details: I'm almost 17 and in 11th grade. My parents are divorced and have joint custody of me. My father doesn't really do his share of work raising me. I am in a bad situation in both of the homes; my parents both have mental issues and addictions. There is abuse going on but I'd rather not get them in trouble; I'd rather just leave. I am aware that I am not able to get emancipated in the state in which I live with my mother but what would make me eligible for emancipation in the state in which my father lives (NJ)?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.