What is needed for a minor to obtain emancipation?

Question Details:

I have a friend who is considering emancipation. She will be 16 in April and lives in GA. Her reason is that her father is not supplying her with the emotional support she needs. Instead he gives her a cold shoulder and yells at her. They argue quite often but no physical abuse has been dealt. Her mother died when she was young and she's had to deal with this "emotional abuse" as I would call it. She's considered suicide but I have persuaded her that it is not the right choice. If she is able to get emancipated then she will stay with my family that can provide a good home and support. She will have to pay some rent so as to keep her place as an adult. I just really wanna know if her emancipation can be won in court? I'm worried. If I can't help her out of that house I'm afraid I may not be able to persuade her again.

Answered 6 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.