How do you sue someone for wrecking your car and not paying for it?

Question Details:

My husband's friend took his car, got in a wreck, didn't have a license, and was at fault. How do we sue him for damages to the vehicle and for the insurance claim of the lady he hit (that my husband is getting charged for)? Shortly after the wreck (like a week or 2) this guy quit his job and moved out (was husband's co-worker and was renting a room from us). We're looking at almost $5000 for the lady's insurer and $2000+ for our car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.