Can a single mother take her child away from the father and move out-of-state?

Question Details:

I am a single mother and my residence is OH. I moved to KY into the baby's father's parent's house for a short while without filing residency and had my baby there. The baby's father signed the birth certificate but we are no longer together and I don't see him as a fit father (drugs and alcohol), so I want to move back home to OH. Do I need his consent to move back? Do we have to go to court to have a custody hearing? We were never married so I don't know what rights he has to our child.

Answered 7 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.