What can I do to regain custody of my daughter?

Question Details:

In 1995 I gave custody of my daughter to a relative of her father because I could not care for her. I never gave up my rights, there was a visitation order. She eventually stop letting me see my daughter and told her I wanted nothing to do with her. I recently got back in contact with my daughter who is now 16. I found out that someone else was given custody of her by the lady I gave custody to. Can she legally do this without my involvement? What can I do to regain custody of my daughter? She wants to come live with me.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.