What can be done if my landlord locked me out and I need to get my personal possessions?

Question Details:

My landlord locked me out of the building that I have leased. Cops said it was a civil matter. I have a lease and keys. I didn't pay all the rent because a bay door was broken for months. I called an attorney and he said to file a restraining order. Why? Is there anything that I can do to get my stuff out fast without filing a replevin?

Answered 7 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.