Can I make someone other than my children's father their guardian if something happens to me?

Question Details:

My kids dad and I have joint custody. Right now he sees the kids 2 to 4 days a month. He has no license, no "real job" (he works under the table) and not responsible over all. He doesn't support the kids financially now so how will that change? I want my parents or their godparents (my sister andbrother) to care for them as they are in there lives regularly. If I have a Will drawn up with 1 of my family members as the kids guardian will it stand? I would like it to be my family has them as I do now and the kids dad gets them still on his weekends or overnight as he gets them now.

Answered 7 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.