I am married but pregnant with another man's child, what legal right does my husband have?

Question Details:

I am married, but pregnant with another man's child. I am told in NYS my husband is now the legal father of my baby. My husband and I don't live together and I don't want him anywhere near her. I know I can't put the real father's name on the birth certificate, but do I have to put down my husband or can I put father unknown? What are my legal options at this point? If I can put father unknown, will my husband be charged child support if I need to get financial help such as WIC or Medicaid? I am really worried that he will try and take her from me or want visitation just to be spiteful.

Alan Joseph / Alan L. Joseph, Esq. Answered 7 years ago This attorney is licensed in New York View Attorney Profile
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.