Is it possible to homestead land belonging to someone else by something called "adverse possession"? 

Question Details:

I own a few acres of land that I rarely visit. Is it true that if someone erects some sort of structure on my land, claiming improvement, and I don't remove it within a certain number of years, they can claim my land? I always keep the taxes paid. Can we do something about it so we don't lose the land? Important Notice