In 2000 my attorney filed my divorce in the wrong county and I just found out, what happens if ex will not sign new papers?

Question Details:

My ex-husband and I filed for divorce in 2000. We recently found out that my attorney filed the divorce in the wrong county and never followed-up to have this corrected. Now my ex will not sign new divorce papers which are exact duplicates of originals we signed in 2000; he now wants me to pay him more money. It has been 10 years. Is there anything that I can do? We jointly agreed on terms initially in 2000 and we both signed the agreement. Do I have any recourse? My divorce papers show a signature, date and file number. Is there any way to rectify this without me being penalized?

Answered 7 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.