What can I do if my employer fails to provide the information necessary for me to file an unemployment claim?

Question Details:

I was recently laid off due to lack of work. My former employer provided me with a separation notice but he didn't put his employer account number on it. I took this notice to the unemployment office. They told me that I need to get this account number from my former employer to be able to get unemployment compensation. I have called him several times to get this but he keeps telling me he can't find this number and will call me back when he finds it. I need to have some sort of income while I am looking for a new job. Is there anything I can do legally if he does not provide me with this number? He signed the separation notice so shouldn't he be obligated to complete the form in its entirety?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.