If I stopped payment on my rent check, can my landlord file criminal felony charges?

Question Details:

I wrote a check for my rent to my landlord in the amount of $1,000 and had to stop payment on the check in order to save my vehicle from repossession. I told the landlord not to deposit the check and he did anyway. He sent me a certified letter threatening to press felony charges if I do not pay him the the $1,000 plus a $50 fee within ten days of receiving the certified letter. Can he press criminal charges on me for a stop payment on a check or is it civil?

Answered 7 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.