What is the law regarding a 17 1/2 year old runaway?

Question Details:

I am a 17 1/2 year old girl. I read that because of my age, if I run away, the police will not actively search for me. However, if I am stopped and ID'd, they will return me to my parent. Is this true? If my parent reports me as a missing person, and I am found out to be a runaway, can my parent be charged with filing a false police report? If my custodial parent does report me as a missing person, how do I prove beforehand that I am running away? RCW 13.32A.082 says that anyone providing shelter to a runaway must report the location to the police. What if I am on the other side of the state?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.