Can I move out-of-state with my children?

Question Details:

I am married with two kids, I live in LA, my mom lives in NY. My husband hit me in front of our children. I want to leave with my kids and stay with my mom, think, and, possibly divorce. First, can I take the kids or should I go for custody; second, do I need his permission; and third, should we separate first (though I would like to stay with my mom, after the children and I "visit" for Christmas). Important Notice