How to get out of a 3 year cable contract?

Question Details:

I opened a business 7 months ago and supposedly signed a 3 year contract with a cable provider (which I don't remember doing but do not deny the possibility). Unfortunately, my business was failing so I closed it. The cable company is telling me that in order to get out of the contract I have to either pay a cancellation fee, transfer the services to my house, or to transfer it to someone else. Is there any other way to do this?

Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. / MacGregor Lyon, LLC. Answered 5 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.