How to collect on court ordered payments?

Question Details:

I have 2 court orders from NY family court magistrate ordering my ex-husband to pay settlement arrears and 1 for awarded counsel fees, totaling close to $60k. Can I sue him personally in civil court as opposed to going through the family court on contempt since he is not paying and the magistrate is not doing anything to help? Another issue is he lives in NY and I live in NJ so where can papers be filed? Important Notice