How can I get my name off my ex-wife's car loan?

Question Details:

While deployed, my wife and I decided to get divorced. The day after we broke up she decided to buy herself a new car, without my knowledge or consent. She traded in 1 of our vehicles for a new one. The original loan had about $10,000 left with a decent interest rate. The new vehicle loan was $25,000 with a terrible interest rate. She used a general power of attorney I gave her before I left to co-sign for me (she would never have been able to afford it on her own). Our final divorce papers say that she is responsible for that debt. Is there any way to get my name off the loan?

Answered 7 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.