Does a non-biological father have legal rights for custody after a divorce if he is not on the birth certificate?

Question Details:

My daughter was born before me and my ex-husband got married and he is not her biological father but has been there for her since 9 months of age. He is not on her birth certificate but was ordered to pay child support in the divorce decree. He now wants to fight for custody of her. Does he have any chance in getting it? He never legally adopted her either and does not have his last name. She has my maiden name and I'm the only one on her birth certificate.

Answered 7 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.