Can you appeal a case in which a plea agreement was signed?

Question Details:

If so, how long do you have to do so? I was not mentally competent at the time I signed a plea agreement and my attorney failed to bring it to the judge's attention. My exact words to him had been that I didn't care what I signed because I wasn't going to live to deal with it anyway and my fiance told him I had made recent attempts on my life. Honestly, I did not become competent enough to even fully understand what I had agreed to or what the charge was until almost a year later. I suffer from extremely rapid cycling bi-polar disorder and was unaware of it at the time.

Answered 6 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.