Can I sue my landlord over a gas leak?

Question Details:

I found out 2 days ago that there has been a gas leak in the house I have been renting for four months, found out from the gas company. My family and I have suffered health problems due to what we now know was carbon monoxide poisoning. When I addressed the issue with my landlord, he told us we should just look for another place to live. I spent all my money to move here from fort worth to be closer to my job, and because of illness and lost wages, I can not afford to move. I would like to file a lawsuit against him. Is this possible?

Answered 5 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.