Can I legally change my daughter's last name without the consent of her absent father?

Question Details:

I have a 5-year-old daughter and she has her father's last name. He has not been around since she was a year old although he does have a court order to pay child support. She has just started school and they are learning how to write their names and the only last name she knows is mine and so she assumes hers is the same. I have asked him to sign his rights over, but he refused. So knowing that can I legally change her last name or at least hyphenate it so we share the same last name? Important Notice