How do you sue for slander?

Question Details:

An acquaintance of my husband has been telling people that I am having an affair with him and I am on drugs. These rumors cost me my marriage. Of course, my husband believes what he is hearing because he doesn't think that someone would lie about something like this if it wasn't true. I want to prove to everyone these are vicious lies. I want to take a drug test and make these rumors stop.

Answered 7 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.